Saturday, September 19, 2009

Rest Rooms in Indian Schools

One evening, I was back home rather early. While I was relaxing over a cup of tea, the doorbell rang. My neighbor’s daughter was at the door. The young school girl wore an embarrassed expression and requested me if she could use the rest room. She had just come back from school, her parents were away and she did not have the keys.

Minutes later, she settled in the comfort of the rocking chair, nibbling biscuits and sipping hot tea. As we were talking, she touched upon the topic of her school. I was shocked to hear that the condition of the toilets in her school were deplorable. The school she studied in was a prestigious, leading school in the Chennai city. The school insists that we clip nails, polish our shoes, comb neatly, wear clean uniforms but Auntie, they hardly do anything to keep the toilets clean said the young girl.

She had a valid point. When they teach the students about personal grooming, they should also take steps to maintain the rest rooms in a hygienic manner. The children spend one-third of their day at school and not having access to hygienic rest rooms would lead to health and psychological problems.

This incident set me thinking. When I discussed the issue with my friends and colleagues, I learnt that the state of rest rooms in all schools, private and government were miserable.

If this is the scene in a metropolitan city, what would be the plight in rural India? Worse! I travelled to the Himalayas few months ago. Hygiene and sanitation don't find a place anywhere. People are oblivious of the fact that they are living dangerously dirty lives makes it all the more pitiable.

While travelling in that region, I end up having food at all kinds of eateries. One morning, I stopped for breakfast at a daaba run by a Nepali family. It was a small room which was divided into their home, restaurant and kitchen.

As I waited for the aloo paranthas and chai, I watched the children get ready for school. As soon as they got out of bed, the children had tea and rushed across the road to have a ‘wash’ at the pipe. The wash included splashing of water on their face, arms and head. Dried themselves with towels, changed into uniforms, had breakfast and left for school! I was flabbergasted. I tried to figure out if the chill weather does not encourage a morning bath. Soon I understood that brushing teeth, washing hands, using soap, personal hygiene were not part of them. I left the place with a question looming huge in my mind... Can I do something about this?

I think, we should take up the cudgels. We should start educating people in our neighborhood, schools, maids, and people whom we interact with on a daily basis on the importance of cleanliness, personal hygiene and sanitation. If every one of us start taking care of and a small area around the place where we live, we can be sure of bringing about a considerable change in the situation and in the attitude of people. And for us to start, it needs an attitude change in us as well. As Gandhiji said, be the change you want to see.

No comments: